• MEDICUS SPORTS

PGA Tour Has Formulated Its Return Safety Plans



Apparently the PGA Tour is ready to go for June 11 at Colonial.


The Tour sent a memo to its players last week that things are indeed a go for the re-start on June 11 in Fort Worth at Colonial Country Club.


The Tour’s chief of operations Tyler Dennis said that details of testing and safety protocols will be released this week.


“We have analyzed every aspect of the tournament experience for players, caddies and other essential persons in order to provide a safe environment without disrupting the integrity of the competition,” the memo to the players read.


Brendon Todd spoke about his understanding of those protocols.


“The process that’s been explained to me is a do-it-yourself test at home followed by a test when we get onsite followed by maybe another test mid-week,” Todd said. “I feel comfortable with that process.”


The Tour’s plan will include an effort to limit exposure by utilizing a single hotel and creating extra space onsite for social distancing requirements. One item still up in the air is use of caddies.  The new plan should make that clear this week.


One big name looking forward to the return is four-time major champion and world’s No. 3 — Brooks Koepka.


“Whenever that first tournament is, I’m going to be there. I’m going to be ready,” Koepka said. “It’s just exciting just to have something to look forward to.”


Memorial Tournament Making High-Tech Plans For Spectators:


The Memorial tournament officials are saying they  Ohio, will rely on radio frequency identification chips placed in tournament badges to monitor fans’ movements while on the grounds.


The use of RFID technology was among the list of protocols Memorial executive director Dan Sullivan touched on last week in a conference call.


“At any time, we can know around the golf course how many people are collecting in a certain area,” said Sullivan, who noted that the tournament has used this technology for the past four years. “We’re going to use that technology to make sure that we’re protecting everyone around us, protecting the folks that are inside those various venues and make sure that we’re monitoring effectively and producing a tournament that everyone can be comfortable with.”


The Memorial is scheduled for July 16-19 with plans to have spectators on the grounds.


Other measures outlined in Sullivan’s plan included limited clubhouse access, no grandstands, no cash transactions, temperature checks and elimination of all adult beverage and soda sales.

Explore

Help

Social

Mailing List

Get our news and updates

©2019 Medicus Sports

0